From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Sean Heskett
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:38 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] WiFi analyzer apps for iOS

https://www.oscium.com/spectrum-analyzers/wipry-2500x

Not cheep, but lots of features and you can connect external antennas and use
it on laptop, tablet or phone.

Apple doesn’t allow 3rd parties access to the Wi-Fi hardware.

-Sean

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com
<mailto:af...@kwisp.com> > wrote:

OK, I’m not an Apple person.  Not a big ideology thing, just don’t own any
Apple devices except for an old eMac in the attic and my wife’s very old iPad.

So I’ve been using Ubiquiti’s WiFiman app on my phone.  I’m not a big Ubiquiti
person either, but the app is really quick and easy to use, so I guess it
appeals to my laziness.  I tried a few others and they seemed fussy and didn’t
give me the info I wanted and WiFiman just works.

Apparently the iOS version of WiFiman doesn’t have any WiFi features, so it
would be useless to me.  I’m seeing conflicting information about Apple
supposedly locking all 3rd party app vendors out from accessing the WiFi info.
Yet there seem to be iOS WiFi analyzers out there.

Is there a good WiFi analyzer for iOS?  And if it’s true that Apple locks them
out from accessing the WiFi chip info, how do they do it?  Or is there some
official Apple app you have to use?  I’m not talking about the info you get in
Settings > WiFi when you go to join a WiFi network, that’s very limited, not
enough to optimize your router placement and configuration.