I feel that as a society we tend to have the wrong approach to most pools -
using recirculated old water, spending time and money on chemicals such as
chlorine (that can cause a variety of annoying issues) to try to hide how
dirty the water is while not actually making it cleaner or healthier.

I enjoy hot springs, and loved visiting the traditional gender-seperated
onsens while on vacation in Japan - those usually originate from a flow of
natural hot water, no chemicals or recirculation needed. The water is kept
clean from the constant replacement flow and because all the users wash
thoroughly before use and don't bring their bathing suits. The variety of
included minerals have been mentioned often as having a number of positive
health effects.

If I was building a pool or hot-tub, preferably not using a city
water/sewer system, I'd look at simulating the above non-recirculated,
chemical-free system on-demand (to not waste the flowing water when the
system is not in use). That would be by installing a large tank for the
building water storage and having it able to quickly heat and release water
into the empty pool, on demand (e.g. the user calls up a web page on their
phone with a button "discharge & heat water tank into pool to prepare for
usage in 10min" - by the time that the user changes their clothes, the pool
will be ready.) The system would then keep a flow of fresh water into the
pool until the point where the pool is no longer in use, after that it
would let the pool drain until it is empty.