Anybody know if the speedtest built into the Google and Nest WiFi mesh
routers use the same M-Lab speedtest as the one a Google search sends you
to?  Their FAQ seems to indicate it is different and tests to Youtube
servers.

Apparently they have a feature where customers can set it up to periodically
test their speed, and now I have customers calling in to report that their
router says they aren't getting the speed they're paying for.  We burn a
bunch of time checking all the stats, including Preseem which shows no
problems at all and actual traffic consistently to the speed plan they're
on.  When asked what they were trying to do that was slow or when they ran
the speedtest, they can't cite any problems and the speedtests were done
days ago and they are just reviewing the Google report.

One guy said the Google report indicated his dish moved in a windstorm so we
needed to come out and fix it.  We have all sorts of graphs on his signal,
SNR, etc. and his dish had not moved.  We had however moved this tower onto
Preseem for bandwidth management around that time.  Everyone else is seeing
better performance as a result, video streaming, gaming and web browsing now
play nice together.  I'm wondering if somehow the Google speedtest doesn't
like the Preseem algorithms (FQ-CODEL + AQM), or if their speedtest is just
flakey.

I don't have a Google or Nest WiFi to test with.  We have a whole list of
other reasons why we hate them.  Generally we tell customers not to buy them
unless they are on a 3.65 GHz AP, but customers like to say screw you and
then still expect you to be responsible for their bad decisions.  (Like the
customers who select the cheap plan despite being told it is too slow to
watch streaming video, and then call to complain about streaming video.)

Other reasons we hate them:

- no dedicated backhaul channel, compared to (for example) Netgear Orbi

- only 1 or 2 Ethernet ports

- requires Google account and app

- requires cloud

- uses Google DNS by default

- tell me they're not doing data mining

- puck and point terminology is goofy, reminiscent of Apple and their
airports and time capsules