There is also that.... we looked several times and decided there was way too much red tape and string for us to bother with it.

On 1/29/20 1:38 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:
We had an opportunity to bid on CAF via the New York State BPO in 2018. Nobody involved like the strings attached.  At this point I can't remember what the "strings" were, just that they sounded like a nuisance.

Perhaps the bigger issue was that the public contributions seemed to be structured over a 10 year period.  A 10 year payback means it's fiber optic or nothing....perhaps that's by design.  More importantly, the private equity partners were not happy with the idea of a >10 year return.  We ended up building only in areas with NY State broadband funding and skipping around the CAF areas.

I can put you in touch with people who are still involved in that project if you hit me offlist.

Frankly the way the NY BPO has structured their current program is a lot more attractive than CAF.  So attractive that they've overwhelmed the capacity of engineering, make-ready, and line contractors with the amount of broadband construction ongoing in NY State for the past several years --I mean that in a good way. Everyone is struggling to build more and build faster into rural markets because NY BPO made it viable for them to do so.  You might talk to them about what they've done.

-Adam Moffett