I'm betting CEO bonuses weren't an eligible expense for CAF, but I couldn't say for sure.

Even if these scenarios went exactly as described, I'm not entirely sure what the logical conclusion we're supposed to draw is.  Is it "Frontier used public funds inappropriately, therefore we should not make effort to ensure appropriate use of public funds"? Even if the first part is true, the second doesn't really follow.

I'm guessing from your ideas earlier that you're saying the bidder should be vetted ahead of time rather than audited after the fact.  I suspect it would actually be easier to cheat that way.