From the FCC:

We opt to allocate this funding through a multi-round, reverse, descending
clock auction that favors faster services with lower latency and encourages
intermodal competition in order to ensure that the greatest possible number of
Americans will be connected to the best possible networks, all at a competitive
cost. In light of the need to bring service both to consumers in areas wholly
unserved by 25/3 Mbps, as well as those living in areas partially served, we
will assign funding in two phases: Phase I will target those areas that current
data confirm are wholly unserved; and, Phase II will target unserved locations
within areas that data demonstrates are only partially served, as well as any
areas not won in Phase I. By relying on a two- phase process, we can move
expeditiously to commence an auction in 2020 for those areas we already know
with certainty are currently unserved, while also ensuring that other areas are
not left behind by holding a second auction once we have identified any
additional unserved locations through improvements to our broadband deployment
data collection.

The Rural Digital Opportunity Fund Phase I auction will make use of many of the
rules that made the CAF Phase II auction a success, with some exceptions to
account for the passage of time and other changed circumstances. Most
importantly, in addition to the weighting of performance tiers and latency, we
will assign support in the auction’s clearing round to the bidder with the
lowest weight. After the auction, we will require Phase I support recipients to
offer the required voice and broadband service to all eligible homes and small
businesses within the awarded areas, without regard to the number of locations
identified by the Connect America Cost Model (CAM), and instead as determined
subsequently by the Bureau. This approach differs from that used in the CAF
Phase II auction, which tied the deployment and service obligations to a
specific number of locations within awarded areas but allowed the recipients to
demonstrate that their obligations should be reduced (along with a
corresponding reduction in support) where there were fewer locations than the
CAM specified. As discussed below, we will use the Commission’s cost model and
current data to establish initial service milestones and to monitor interim
progress, but we emphasize that Phase I bidders will be competing for support
amounts to offer service to all locations ultimately identified in an area, not
just to the specific number of locations in that area identified prior to the
auction, without adjusting awarded support amounts.

-

I guess lower latency means no satellite? Service to EVERY location with fixed
wireless? We’d need a ton more spectrum, no?