That wouldn't be unprecedented.  That's how Telrad Compact works.  It picks a port on bootup.  If you want both cables connected then you have to disable a port on your switch.

I'm not sure what the rationale for that is, but I can guess. The alternative's would be bridging the ports together or having a software selector for which port is your data port.  If the ports are bridged (as they are in Trango Apex Lynx for example) then connecting both at once can create a switch loop.  If the ports are software selected there has to be a default.  Suppose the default was copper, but you only plugged in the SFP....a factory default then requires a tower climb to fix.

So having the device pick one port automatically removes some opportunity for self inflicted pain.  I might rather be able to configure the copper as an OOB managment port, or use it to feed another device, but I think this way isn't insane either.