First, just shoot the launch cable with nothing on the far end and make sure
you can see it and the length is approximately correct.
I would choose 20 ns or longer pulses.  Perhaps 10 seconds of averaging time.

From: TJ Trout
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 6:58 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: [AFMUG] OTDR noob

just got my first otdr, been trying to shoot the only fiber I have which is 4ct
flat drop about 50ft. No luck so far, figured out I needed a launch cable which
I now have (500m) but still can't see the mechanical connector / reflection /
loss of the flat drop after the launch cable, I'm guessing it's a reflection
that is blinding the OTDR and if my flat drop was 200ft I would be able to see
the connection between the launch and the cable under test? I guess this is
what a launch cable on the far end is for....

Any tips?