One of my high school classmates is a life long dairy farmer. This is a 2-part blog he posted on Linked In.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gabriel-carpenter-5a01a910b_why-are-dairy-farms-dumping-milk-part-activity-6652616912771575808-S6ZA?fbclid=IwAR1PrgN5q2shkkQCPC-dIMu9wer4L0qnSbU--Gl6f2YMNn94EvsLF0sV2Mo

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gabriel-carpenter-5a01a910b_why-are-dairy-farmers-dumping-milk-part-activity-6652633195399442432-OxT8?fbclid=IwAR36BdNsFsfziz38pCcCLB1yxgUabn3KZWqGRwcQcaPvLLOPhvSHNGD_hpU

It seems weird to see empty store shelves and dairy farmers dumping milk, but that's a confluence of related problems.  People hoarding bottled milk eat up the grocery store supply.  Bottling plants can only bottle so much per day.  The export market disappeared overnight.  Raw milk that can't make it to the bottling plant and can't be exported is sitting at the dairy, and they can only store it for 2 days.

On 4/13/2020 11:35 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

Bad news for you pork lovers, Smithfield is closing some plants, and warning it threatens our national meat supply.  But on the other hand I heard there is actually a bacon glut due to all the restaurant closures, and that people were trying to figure out how to hoard all the cheap bacon.  So not sure who to believe.  Not inclined to automatically believe the CEO of a big meat processor.  Also reports of farmers dumping produce and milk because they can’t sell it.

Interesting, usually the worry is sick pigs, now it’s sick people.

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Mathew Howard
*Sent:* Monday, April 13, 2020 10:20 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Happy Monday

I wish they had these charts per state or metro area, but I haven't found that anywhere yet (not that I've spent a lot of time looking... )

The problem with this, is that it's pretty much just showing the NYC curve at this point (since everything else is buried under those numbers), and doesn't really give us a good picture of what's happening in other parts of the country. I expect we're going to follow along with Chicago here, which looks like it's probably just getting started...