Not serving the LATA makes sense. They'd have a build out cost to that area's
tandem switch(es).

Not serving a particular CO in a LATA could be that CO is attached to a tandem
(in the case of multiple tandems) that the VoIP carrier doesn't connect to. It
could also mean that there is a high volume of calls with that particular CO
and the cost for them to get a PRI directly to that CO is prohibitive. If you
have over a certain volume to a particular switch, the tandem operator will
often make you connect directly to that switch, reserving tandem switch
capacity.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions