The mask thing cuts two ways. You may not care (or think you don't care) whether you get it or not, but the main thing is whether you might give it to someone else. At least 20% of the people who get it (and spread it) show no symptoms whatever. We know a local woman who has been pinpointed as the one who gave it to 12 other people.