Swearing is 100% acceptable in any published work (including children's comics) as long as they are done with grawlixes.

On 6/10/2020 9:45 AM, Steve Jones wrote:
Can the documentation have swear words?

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:16 PM Simon Westlake <simon@sonar.software> wrote:
There's a bunch of contract places out there. I've looked at a few, seems hard to find anyone competent that isn't already employed.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020, 10:23 AM <ch...@wbmfg.com> wrote:
I have written lotsa technical manuals over the years.  Tons of this stuff.  And while I slightly enjoy it, I am not tossing my hat in the ring.  My son who has a MSEE does this for the DOD.  Seems like a waste of a degree to me.

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Looking for Technical Writer/Documentation Person

You might consider an old fashioned headhunter, assuming they still exist in the age of online job sites and candidate screening software.  Find one who specializes in an industry that needs good technical documentation.

Tech writing is probably a lost art, judging by what passes for product manuals and documentation these days.  Well, there’s Tina the tech writer in Dilbert, but Dilbert still seems to be set in Pacific Bell back around 1990.  So you might be looking for someone who’s now retired but still working on a gig basis.

I worked many years at telecom equipment manufacturers, and every product needed a technical manual or “Bell System Practice”.  Often there were ordering, installation, provisioning and operations manuals, aimed at the different users of the equipment.  I assume there are many industries that employed tech writers because their customers required detailed instruction manuals – government, military, aircraft, medical, etc.  Some of them are in decline or no longer producing good documentation, so the tech writers may be unemployed but still retaining their skills.

Headhunters did have some unique skills, they would have company directories and org charts, or know people in the relevant department who might not be looking to move but could provide names of coworkers and friends.  They typically worked on a contingency basis, X% of the salary if you hired someone.  Maybe that doesn’t translate to the gig economy.