On 9/10/20 11:43, Ken Hohhof wrote:
I didn’t see the ground wire in Chuck’s photo.  There’s no active electronics in that box, right?

Somehow grounding the cable to the electrical power ground seems to eliminate one of the advantages of fiber.  But “code” aside, I’d feel better keeping that underground lightning outside and grounding it to a ground rod rather than running it inside my house to my electrical system ground.  A separate ground rod that’s not bonded to the electrical ground is bad with Cat5, but with fiber, there’s no wiring going to the indoor electronics, just glass carrying light.  So if you have to ground it, why not drive in a ground rod next to the NID and ground it there? I’m not sure running a #6 wire or whatever across the house to the electrical service entrance will be any cheaper.

As far as I'm aware, the NEC only requires the metallic part of a fiber cable to be grounded if it's co-run in a conduit with power cables. No grounding required if there's no metal.