Are any of the SWIPed IP's reachable? Personally I know I've accumulated a lot of dangling config over the past 20 years.  So my first impulse is just to assume an incorrect SWIP entry and the IP's are used by other customers who aren't aware of WHOIS records and therefore never requested a WHOIS update.

You can't be on the waiting list if you already have a /20, so they don't get gain anything by pretending they're in use.  If it's what you imagine and they have unused IP's mis-classified as allocated, then eventually they'll run out of "empty" address space and go back to audit what they've allocated.