From: "Matt Hoppes" <mattli...@rivervalleyinternet.net>
To: "AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group" <af@af.afmug.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2020 9:18:56 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] HFT

Ok. That explains the Chicago/NY link.

That’s something else!

On Nov 28, 2020, at 10:11 AM, Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com> wrote:

I assume it’s a combination of front running, arbitrage, and algorithmic
trading.

So they exploit slight differences in prices between exchanges in NY/NJ,
Chicago, Seattle, Europe, Asia, etc. Based on knowing what has happened
somewhere else, a few milliseconds before other people know it. I say people,
but it’s probably machines doing the trading, probably specialized computers
built just for HFT. Just like there are specialized computers for
cryptocurrency mining.