Cambium would have had to violate the eula to rewrite the firmware. Since
cambium didnt design a hardware flashing method for end users that didnt
involve accessing the existing software (even the tftp) it required eula
violations each time.

Cambium are pretty smart people top to bottom, this settlement was probably
built into the manufacturing costs, and since it generates press they
probably have a slick accountant writing it off as a marketing expense.

They slow rolled through court to where any negative judgement wouldnt
impact future sales to any notable degree. It's just like an election, if
you do cheat, all you have to do is make it to an inauguration and it's
done. They made it past the point it was a marketable product and then ate
their cereal.

It was pretty slick and well run marketing. Look how many people went from
cheap ass ubnt gear to epmp are now running 450. I'd be curious to see how
many elevate operators went with 450 3ghz because they slowly became a
cambium shop without even realizing it. They started with ubnt that needs
babysitting, went to epmp because elevate made it a cost effective breeze
to migrate a whole pop over time to a better solution and found how little
the hardware itself needs babysat (gps exluded), epmp kept revisioning with
clean no forklift pop upgrades. This ease and reliability got cambiums foot
in the door for 450. Cbrs came along requiring a hardware migration, people
touched a bunch of pita lte solutions, cambium offered a product that just
worked, worked really well, and was familiar (it's why we dropped our lte
expedition).
We wont ever know what cambium paid, but I bet at the end of the day the
market share they otherwise wouldnt have acquired makes the settlement
pocket change.
Hope it was enough for ubnt to at least get a football team.