Yes most of the time anything over 1-2gbps of clean traffic should not use
the GRE tunnel and insisted would use some other form of connection like
dark fiber, cross connect or wave. By not using the GRE tunnel you also
dont have the problems with IPSEC tunnel or other mtu problems.

Zach Underwood (RHCE,RHCSA,RHCT,UACA)
My website <http://zachunderwood.me>
advance-networking.com