There is a BMS to prevent over discharge or over charging, but your charger has to be able to be set to different parameters than a typical lead acid battery.   Fully charged is usually 14.6 and the batteries can charge at 1C but most people charge them at 1/2C.  They cannot be charged at below freezing temps but a good BMS in a good battery will have sensors to prevent that or a heater to warm above that.   Most recommendations are now saying longest life is achieved by only charging to 80%.   They have a very very flat discharge voltage profile and to know where you are will require a monitor set up for that.   There is no concept of float or absorption.   It's bulk all the way with a constant current until you get to the voltage.   They can be charged _way_ faster than lead acid.  So for solar applications they can take a huge array and charge controller.   The bank that I am playing with right now will be 14.1V x 4 200 Ah batteries.   That is a lot of power in a small package.  If I had the gear I could charge this at 56V and 200 amps.   That takes a little different care than I am used to with lead acid.  I am planning on charging at 60 amps.  This is dangerous as heck and my solar plant is going to the next level for safety, vs. 24v...