There are other form factors (E.G. M.2 an example), that have pretty darn fast interfaces. But I think the driving issues are going to be speed and the ability to swap them quickly and easily.

On 1/27/2021 11:36 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
Looks like 30TB SSD drives exist in a 2.5" Form factor now.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-pm1643-30-72tb/p/2U3-0005-000H7?item=9SIA994CAV5304
In theory price should continue to drop like they did with all previous sizes.  I'm not sure why SSD is fixated on the 2.5" size.  I would think that with the extra space of 3.5" they would easily scale higher.

I'm guessing that Spinning disks are on their way out?

Of course you could just go all in with the 100TB disk
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/worlds-biggest-ssd-costs-40000/articleshow/76878101.cms

Just think, in 20 years we'll be talking about all that small scale storage, back when a single disk was ONLY 100TB.

On 1/27/2021 11:42 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
Recently, I read an article about spinning disks that should scale to 80 TB per 3.5" drive.

From: "Bill Prince" <part15...@gmail.com>
To: af@af.afmug.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:32:15 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: Google storage math

I read an analysis recently (unfortunately I don't remember where it was) discussing the optimum size for a storage device. It was making the argument that the size itself becomes a problem when it exceeds 16TB or thereabouts. When it gets much larger, it interferes with just getting data on/off because of transfer speeds and the shear amount of data contained therein (or thereon?).