On 2/17/21 11:55 AM, Bill Prince wrote:
I could be wrong, but the various regional interconnects have very little federal involvement.

There's an entire agency that does only that: the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. The Federal Power Act is Chapter 12 of Title 16 of the USC (amended over the years). Interstate electricity sales is under the purview of the federal government. Then there's Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the US Constitution AKA the Commerce Clause (the key word being "interstate").

There was the "Midnight Connection" in 1976 that should have put Texas under federal regulation, but the outcome was in favor of continued Texas independence.

ERCOT is not a complete island, they have interconnects for emergencies, but obviously they didn't have a serious plan to deal with loss of significant generation capacity.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2021/02/what-is-ercot