The issue with 4 wire:

1) It's stupid -- whatever I can do with 4 wire I should be able to do with 2 wire.

2) The connectors are extremely small, to the point they are hard to work with and more things to break.

3) It's not standard red/black, so more chance for someone to wire something up wrong

4) More connectors to go bad. And small wire on each of them. More things to break down the road.