The old-school circuit switched network had built-in capacity issues because every phone call required dedicated "circuits". ATT innovated somewhat when they figured out how to multiplex phone calls, but overall capacity was always dictated by the number of circuits they could build and keep connected.

Packet switching changed all that. That and glass.