Yes, very happy.  And they said I would need a vacuum furnace...

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Andrews
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 1:58 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT having fun

Did you giggle like a mad scientist?

On 11/22/21 12:51 PM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
I melted stainless steel in a consumer grade microwave oven this morning. The melting temp of stainless was a bench mark temp I am trying to hit. A consumer grade infrared thermometer that is supposed to go to 3000 F said it was 300F. Can’t use thermocouples due to the high RF field inside. Still looking for a way to measure the temp of the heating zone. This is something I have been working on for a while. It really works well. I have some silicon carbide foam that absorbs microwaves embedded in some super high temp insulation. I got it so hot it actually melted a hole in the foam and made a crater in the fire brick it was setting on. No evidence of plasma, just pumping 1250 watts of energy into a very well insulated item. I was astounded that it was glowing through the insulation.