I installed WeChat to communicate with Chinese suppliers. I went to a
nearby Chinese restaurant where I knew the staff and they scanned my QR as
a "friend" or similar so that I could be authorized. Ridiculous method of
signup and questionable privacy implications but it is a way to prevent
false registrations. If you send me a screenshot of your code I can try to
scan it.