From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Chuck McCown via AF
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2022 12:16 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Cc: Chuck McCown <ch...@go-mtc.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Larger Standby Generators

Well, larger wires need larger conduit.  They all work the same but the control
wires are all different so you cannot use the old switch for the new
generator... almost guaranteed.  The amperage will almost certainly be too
small etc.  I am always astounded at how large the enclosures are for these
things.  Upgrading to a larger generator will likely require twice the wall
space for the transfer switch.  I think I would shop based on what the transfer
switch looked like and if you can fit it somewhere on the wall.

Nothing wrong with Generac.  I have used their larger units without issue other
than in the past their built in starter motor battery charger would fail and it
would not be known until you actually needed it.  I outfitted all the sites
with telemetry and we watched that voltage carefully.  Especially after they
exercise each week or month.  We also resorted to installing the starting
batteries inside the climate controlled area and adding a high quality battery
maintainer to them.  That battery is the weakest link in the whole system.

Not sure what your climate is, but the colder areas need engine heaters.  That
is important.  And larger is almost always better for longevity.  I once
installed a unit that was fine for the load, but we had those external wall
mount AC units and after a power outage, especially a short one, the generator
could not start both ACs at the same time.  Had to put a device on that would
only allow one AC to run under generator power.

I always required the techs to check the hour meter each time they went to the
site.  Our call center kept logs of generator hours and notified techs if they
discovered an hour meter was not advancing (from the exercise cycles).