In our latest rack, it's a 288ct fiber terminating to an ADC (Commscope)
panel and then it's just a load of 1 meter patch cables straight to the OLT
ports.

Cat5 down the tower to the patch panel/switch is always shit.  We put in
Chuck's surge cards and then a patch cable from that to a Mikrotik.
There's always water in 1 cable given enough time, so we replace the card
and cable.