visualize an over-charged battery exploding.

On 6/7/23 10:04, dmmoff...@gmail.com wrote:

So I was looking at a rectifier config and trying to imagine the worst possible thing I could do.

With some creativity I could start an equalizing charge that will run for 48 hours at 58.5 Volts. Normally it would stop when charge current hits a configurable fraction of the C10 Ah rating of the battery, but by intentionally misconfiguring the size of the battery and that fraction of Ah I could ensure that the equalizing charge runs until the maximum time limit…..which I can set as high as 48 hours.

I could also disable the battery current limit, disable the over temp shutoff, and disable the temperature compensation.

If I’ve disabled the current limiting feature in the rectifier, what determines the current that will go into the battery when I’m on a constant voltage charge?  The charger can do up to 100A, but would it put 100A into the battery for the full 48 hours, or would some other factor limit it?

The spec sheet for the batteries lists an internal resistance of 3 /milli/ohms.  V=IR tells me they could take thousands of amps at 58.5V.  Is there any other limit here besides resistance.  If nothing else stops this machine from dumping it’s full 100A into the batteries for 48 hours I’m pretty sure I could start a fire or explosion with this rectifier if I wanted to. I’m not trying to commit an act of sabotage by the way, I’m just wondering if a creative idiot could do something terrible.