I'm at about the same latitude as you. My experience is that having extra
battery capacity is more helpful than oversizing the solar panels, so I'd
probably go with Chuck's numbers for batteries if I was putting something
together now, and solar panels are cheap now anyway, so figure 400 watts
(if mounting space allows for it, which could be an issue if we're trying
to fit it on a pole).

A quick check on Amazon shows 100ah SLA batteries for $160, so 6 of those
would give me 7200 watt hours, for just under $1k. At $1500 (which is
mostly just adjusting battery and panel sizes from where I started at $1k),
I'm right in line with Chuck's estimate, aside from the battery costs.