We may have the opportunity to grab 2 strands of dark fiber.  These will allow
us to build a loop between two points on our network.  We have been told we can
also break into this fiber within our loop.  I'm guessing when we break into
this fiber they will just extend the dark fiber into our handhole and we will
be responsible to figure out what we do once we cut into that fiber.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do this passively so we don't
have to depend on having our loop run though a customers location.  I was
thinking of CWDM.  I can setup a CWDM/DWDM at our site and send multiple wave
lengths down the fiber.  Is there a way for me to break out just one wavelength
at a hand hole passively?

Let's say I have a North/South run of 2 strands going though a hand hole and I
what to break out 1270nm for a customer.  Is there away for me in the hand
hole, passively, to peel off just 1270nm.  Put something like a 1x2 splitter in
on N1, N2, S1, S2 and send those 4 fibers into the customer site.  Then install
a couple of 1270nm optics in a switch to preserve the loop for that one
customer.

Do the optics do all the magic or are there some type of filters in the
DWDM/CWDM modules?

--

Thanks,
 Mark                          mailto:m...@mailmt.com