Yes that’s definitely a thing.  Did it with Sipura SPA ATA’s a long time ago.
Those don’t exist anymore, so I don’t know what hardware to get today, but yes
absolutely.

-Adam

From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of TJ Trout
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2024 11:25 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] troubleshooting telco pairs

I think you can make a virtual pots line using an FXO and FXS adapters over ip

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024, 7:58 AM <ch...@go-mtc.com <mailto:ch...@go-mtc.com> >
wrote:

You can kinda sniff along the wire.  I would tie the pairs together at the far
end and put the tone on it.  But the age old method is to cut it in the middle
and see which direction the fault lies.  Ground each wire at the far end in
sequence and identify the problem wire.  Keep cutting the bad half.  Binary
chopping.  You might be able to put tone on one wire to ground and sniff, or
open the jacked at a mid point etc.  Find someone with an old fashioned copper
TDR.  Do you only have 2 wire available?  Does it read open circuit or does it
have some leakage, shorts or grounds?

Best Regards,
Chuck McCown

McCown Technology Corporation