Sriram, that brings up my next question. The channel planning model for reuse
is great for Idealtown, located on a flat plain where one can permit and build
POPs on a tidy rectilinear grid. (This may be just west of Rolling Meadows).  I
wonder about the utility of channel reuse in say, Realtown, where the topology
is quite bumpy, forestation is patchy, and the operator takes what he can get
in the way of locations for POPs. This is pretty much my situation, and
probably plenty of other folks’ too.

I’m trying to think of a broad rule set for channel planning in those
conditions. For instance, I’m planning to expand into an area with existing
structures (silos). In the attached image I’ve modeled coverage in Radio Mobile
with an RSSI of –66dBm or better at the SM, assuming an ePMP AP/90°sector at
power limit for max modulation and Force (25dBi) SMs (antenna pattern is just
an omni for planning purposes). Max cell radius is 6km. This is over actual
topology, of course, and using a publicly available ground cover (clutter)
database, so it should be a pretty good prediction of which POP gets best
signal to a given location. Each POP has its own color, with some reuse where
it wouldn’t be confusing. (This is RM’s “combined cartesian” coverage, so there
are plenty of locations where more than one POP can provide better than -66,
but the POP with the strongest SS gets to put its color on the pixel.)

Some of the POPs won’t want a full 4-sector deployment, but many, probably
most, will. Am I better off, generally speaking, with the recommended 4-channel
model, with two of the four channels on each POP (and the other two channels on
the adjacent POP) than I am with the two channel model? And if so, would I just
maintain the same azimuths for all of the POPs—e.g. channel A always at 0° and
180° and C at 90°

and 270 ° on POPs 1,3, 5…, then channel B always at 0° and 180° and D at 90°
and 270 ° on POPs 2,4,6…? Then maybe we could just leave out unnecessary AP
quadrants on POPs where they weren’t going to do any good.

Is there any reason to try the ABAB reuse model if four channels are available?
Does the necessity of setting Frequency Reuse “Front” and “Back” go away in the
ABCD model—and can anyone explain just what that’s doing?

Whew.

Oh, yeah—can you just software switch between the GPS timing signal on the
(internal patch or) local GPS port and the signal on the Cat5/6 from a CMM, if
you want that kind of redundancy?