From: Paul Conlin via Af
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 2:59 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Tower Top Switch Surge Protection Question

If you don’t have a surge suppressor then you need a tower climber to change
the switch.  Either way, a climb is required.

Remember surge  suppressors are not like fuses.  In the sense that they don’t
“blow” with every suppression event.  They can shunt some spikes to ground,
save the switch port, and live to fight another day.  If they do give their
lives to save the switch then you need a climb.  But would have likely have
needed that climb anyway to replace that switch or change ports.  So
suppressors at the top will reduce the number of climbs although you will never
know how many times the surge suppressor saved you.

Maybe Chuck should put a strike counter circuit in the suppressor and change to
a subscription model.  You have to pay for each strike that he saved you from.

PC

Blaze Broadband