I would do a debian 6 bare metal install no extras just os minimal install.
If its older Hardware less than 2g processor then back it down to
debian 4 or use crunchbang, Knopix or something lite weight to make the
Hardware sing and not try to keep up with bloated code.
 Then load power dns to get your dns up and running quick.