Something came up in fiber training that I attended recently that I found hard to believe.

The instructor said that the signaling was simply on/off. I.E.: light on = 1 and light off = 0.

I would have /assumed/ they would use some sort of more advanced modulation than that. In fact, I'm sure I've read about creating an optical carrier wave and modulating it.

Was the instructor correct? Is it just blinky blinky on/off and that's it? If so, then why the hell would they do that? Wouldn't they get another order of magnitude of capacity by applying a more advanced modulation scheme?