Uh-oh.  Other than the big Superior-Essex reels, I have them all stored that
way.  Stacked in fact.  Otherwise they roll around.  I guess I’ll have to
change that.

From: Chuck McCown via Af
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2014 8:24 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Accuracy of on cable foot markings

Never lay any reel of cable on its side.  The layers and the reel ends will
slip and shift and compress.  You can have crushing and abrasions, especially
when a layer comes to the end and is up against the reel end.

We always refuse any reel that comes in on its side.

This a a very long time telco industry standard.