Hikvision does everything but auto-launch rockets. Now that I think about
it, it could easily do that via it's external relay control.

Steve B.

  _____

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Jason McKemie via Af
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:25 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] IP Camera Recommendations

3 and 4 are the kickers for me.

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014, Adam Moffett via Af <af@afmug.com> wrote:

Ok what I hated about AV1:
1) No management of disk usage (though it seemed to use 90% of the available
space for video, which I admit is a reasonable default)
2) "Recordings" shown in the web interface seemed to stay forever.  Or at
least a listing of an available recording was shown, along with a little
thumbnail image long past the point where the actual recording on disk was
gone.  I never saw one go away without me deleting it.
3) No good way to skim or search lots of video.  You had to click on each
recording and watch it.....if someone told you that the event you're looking
for was "sometime on tuesday" that meant a lot of tedium.
4) No bulk export:  You could export individual recordings, but if you
wanted "all the video from Tuesday afternoon" it was not happening without
exporting individual clips over and over again.
5) No export to locally attached storage.  Couldn't burn to DVD, couldn't
copy to USB disk.
6) Oh yeah....no full quality uncompressed export.
7) Video not actually stored as video....stored as still images with a
database that kept a record of which images belonged to what video.  Which
meant no (good) workaround to any of the export problems.

The web interface was so amazing and beautiful that it distracted from the
fact that some of the basic functions of a DVR were missing.  Since it was
free I might have used it for something less critical, like monitoring my
own house, but it was not good for actual security.

Glad to hear the new version is better, maybe someday I'll try it.

Hard to believe that someone didn't like a Ubiquiti web system. That's what
they do probably better than anyone else....  unless he meant the backend of
AV1...  which was terrible. Rewritten in AV2 and then rewritten again in
AV3. Not really hearing any complaints about the new interface or new
cameras. Well, nothing major.

Losing RSTP? I couldn't care less. They actually added it back in, but it's
sourced from the server vs. the camera.

http://www.ics-il.com

  _____