If I had to do fiber + DC, I would want each radio on its own pair of fiber and power conductors coming all the way down. So far it's been easier, cheaper and faster to run cat5. Just my opinion.

It would be nice to find 4 strand single or multi-mode + 4 #14 stranded conductors in a single jacket. I would go for 2 + 2, but lots of stuff is coming with separate management and data port SFP interfaces now. Plus it never hurts to have an extra pair of wires at the radio for maybe a 2+0/1+1 setup. And in that case, the 4 strands could be BiDi.

On 11/6/2014 7:00 PM, Mike Hammett via Af wrote:
I would want to do fiber up for each device, but I know many put a switch up there. Eventually our vendors will listen to us and put fiber on the APs.

I was excited about the squids until Chuck Hogg pointed me to some high dollar eBay auctions for them. I guess I'll just put a PVC box up there and a fiber patch panel.

http://www.ics-il.com

<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

*From: *"Forrest Christian (List Account) via Af" <af@afmug.com>
*To: *"af" <af@afmug.com>
*Sent: *Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:56:49 PM
*Subject: *[AFMUG] Fiber up the tower questions.

For those of you who run fiber + DC up the tower....

Do you run a separate fiber pair up the tower for each radio? Or do you mount an ethernet switch up top? How do you do injection, eth switching, etc...

I'm continually being asked to do a product to help with these fiber up the tower builds, and as we don't generally bump into the 100M distance limit in installs I've been involved with I'm at a bit of a loss understanding how people typically wire this - or I guess would like to wire this.

Pictures would be great!

-forrest