I cannot imagine a benefit to having armored/shielded on a fiber up the tower
other  than mechanical protection.  It would not offer any electrical benefits
and could actually pick up and transfer RF and induced impulses from
lightening.

From: Darin Steffl via Af
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 1:47 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] Fiber to top of tower

Hey guys,

For fiber runs to a switch or radio on top of the tower, do you recommend
non-armored fiber or armored with the metal shield? If there a way to have
armored fiber without metal inside?

I'm wondering how some of you run fiber up to the top now and if having metal
in the fiber is alright or if it's a bad idea because of lightning or grounding
issues. Looking for best practices here. Thanks

--

Darin Steffl
Minnesota WiFi