If you're set to in/out bits, then you're on 32bit counters. in/out bits (64bit) is what you want. There's completely different OIDs for in/out 64bit octets, called ifInHCOctets or something like that.

You can convert a 32bit graph/RRD to 64 using the Fix64Bit plugin. All the data stays intact. I believe you need to be polling the host as SNMP v2 to get the 64-bit counters as well.