From: Sean Heskett via Af
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:10 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Mimosa did it again

The history of OTARD dates back to the early days of digital satellite service
(today it's dish and directv).  What happened was the cable companies lost
their monopoly hold when suddenly everyone could just put up a small 1' dish
(instead of a 7' dish).  The cable companies got cities and towns and HOAs to
ban dishes so they could retain their monopoly hold on the market.  After a few
years congress intervened and had the fcc establish the OTARD rules to spur
competition in the market.  When the Internet came along and the same thing
started to happen in our industry (and the satellite internet industry) the fcc
extended the rules to cover internet reception too.

Is it a government over reach into private property rights?...kind of.  But
it's also the government trying to make sure the market is somewhat a level
playing field.

Sean