Ok guys, I know this has been talked about a few times about FM towers.  We
have a new site, that has about 20 cell phone antennas on it and maybe 8
private band handheld radio antennas.  We are seeing crc errors on all the
radios, not really effecting overall traffic, but I would like to fix it.  I
have only used really good CAT5 cable for about 10 years now in my area on all
of our towers with great success.  We never have lightning issues unless it's a
direct hit and the radio blows up.  What I am wondering is that maybe when I
used shielded cable 10 years ago to connect to cisco aps, we always popped the
ports on them.  Granted I didn't know much back then and I don't believe I had
the shielded cable grounded right.  So what I'm asking, I assume the best way
to fix this is with shielded cable.  How do most people setup the shielded run.
 So do I go into a chuck ground with a shielded end connected to the drain wire
at the bottom and then do I go into a chuck ground at the top too?  Or do I
strip the jacket and ground the shield to the tower?  I guess I don't want to
just guess and loose radios in lightning storms again, can someone let me know
what great results they have in the way they ground the run?   Thanks, Criag.

Craig R. Schmaderer
CEO | Skywave Wireless, Inc.
Ph: 402-372-1975 | Fax: 402-372-1058
Direct: 402-372-1052