That's pretty close, probably even good enough!

http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mark - Myakka Technologies via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: "Mike Hammett via Af" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 9:32:04 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth. Amazonstreaming4Know.

Mike,

something like this...

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:m...@mailmt.com

Myakka Technologies, Inc.
www.MyakkaTech.com

Proud Sponsor of the Myakka City Relay For Life
http://www.RelayForLife.org/MyakkaCityFL

Please Donate at
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12FL?team_id=1030009&pg=team&fr_id=37555

------

MHvA> I don't care about the remote side. Locally. Who is using
MHvA> it? The Samsung TV, the XBox, an iPhone, etc. How much is that
MHvA> device using right now. I don't care what is being moved, just
MHvA> THAT it is being moved.

MHvA> -----
MHvA> Mike Hammett
MHvA> Intelligent Computing Solutions
MHvA> http://www.ics-il.com

MHvA> From: "Ken Hohhof via Af" <af@afmug.com>
MHvA> To: af@afmug.com
MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:46:47 PM
MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> Not that simple, most CDNs donï¿œt even have reverse DNS,
MHvA> and even if they do, you have to know that 1e100.net is Google
MHvA> or llnw.net is Limelight Networks.ᅵ But seriously, reverse DNS
MHvA> is becoming useless on the Internet.ᅵ Only hope is to look up
MHvA> who the IP block is allocated to.ᅵ Iᅵm also seeing a lot of CDNs
MHvA> open anywhere from 4-10 TCP connections, and not just different
MHvA> port numbers, they can be all different IP addresses for one
MHvA> stream.ᅵ It would take a fair bit of smarts to do more than
MHvA> identify Susieᅵs iPad.ᅵ Even doing a manual analysis, I give up,
MHvA> how am I to know what content is coming from Level3 or AWS
MHvA> Cloudfront?ᅵ Itᅵs like knowing a customer went to a certain
MHvA> grocery store, you donï¿œt know if they bought milk or orange
MHvA> juice, much less what brand.
MHvA> ᅵ
MHvA> Now if Procera would provide a probe that goes on a
MHvA> Mikrotik SOHO router, pulls the info back, analyzes it maybe
MHvA> once a minute, and then makes the information available to the
MHvA> end customer via a webpage with login, they would really have
MHvA> something.ᅵ Not sure you could cost justify it though.
MHvA> ᅵ
MHvA> ᅵ
MHvA> From:Mike Hammett via Af
MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:06 PM
MHvA> To:af@afmug.com
MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> That's a good first step, but I'd like it to display "Top
MHvA> Hosts" or something like that where it does a name lookup (DNS,
MHvA> SNMP, etc.) and aggregates the top ten things in torch by host?

MHvA> Right now "Susie's-iPad" is using |---this---| much. Go
MHvA> tell her to do her homework. Take the iPad away.

MHvA> -----
MHvA> Mike Hammett
MHvA> Intelligent Computing Solutions
MHvA> http://www.ics-il.com

MHvA> From: "Josh Reynolds via Af" <af@afmug.com>
MHvA> To: af@afmug.com
MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:02:49 PM
MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> That's the only reason I like the LCD on the RB2011.

MHvA> I am currently using several as demarcs for commercial
MHvA> customers. I have the touchscreen portion disabled and locked to
MHvA> showing the wan port throughout.

MHvA> josh reynolds :: chief information officer
MHvA> spitwspots :: www.spitwspots.com

MHvA> On 12/11/2014 07:06 AM, Mike Hammett via Af wrote:

MHvA> We need tools to allow the customer to see what is
MHvA> happening in their house. Call support. Your service is slow?
MHvA> What does your XYZ utility say is happening now?

MHvA> -----
MHvA> Mike Hammett
MHvA> Intelligent Computing Solutions
MHvA> http://www.ics-il.com

MHvA> From: "Ken Hohhof via Af" mailto:af@afmug.com
MHvA> To: af@afmug.com
MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:29:05 AM
MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> I donï¿œt disagree, but it presents some marketing and tech
MHvA> support issues dealing with customers.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> If 4K streaming requires 25M as Netflix says, thatï¿œs
MHvA> around 15 times what SD requires and 6 times what HD (720p)
MHvA> requires.ᅵ I donᅵt think customers think of it that way, and
MHvA> they certainly donï¿œt want to pay 6 or 15 times as much, more
MHvA> like 1.5X or 2X if anything.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> Add this to the trend of having 2, 3, 5 or more streams
MHvA> going at once and in their head itï¿œs a binary thing, can I
MHvA> stream on your service or canᅵt I?ᅵ As someone posted the
MHvA> other day, 6M does not mean 6M per device.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> I already get a fair amount of calls from people either
MHvA> watching Netflix while others in the house are watching
MHvA> Youtube, or they are watching streams on their Apple TV or via
MHvA> Amazon or Hulu that take more bandwidth than Netflix.ᅵ In some
MHvA> cases I think those services are optimized for download and
MHvA> watch later rather than live streaming.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> Youï¿œd think people would observe Netflix works but Vudu
MHvA> doesnᅵt, and blame it on the streaming service.ᅵ But
MHvA> everything these days is ᅵmy Internet is slowᅵ.ᅵ I had someone
MHvA> yesterday who had managed to both turn off WiFi on their
MHvA> router and unplug the Internet cable, but the reported problem
MHvA> was ᅵmy Internet is slowᅵ.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> Add in the binary choice ᅵcan I stream or canᅵt Iᅵ, and I
MHvA> think we need some really good talking points and phone
MHvA> support scripts to explain to people why they need to upgrade
MHvA> to a higher more expensive plan, rather than saying I used to
MHvA> be able to stream Netflix SD, now I canï¿œt stream 4K, you need to
MHvA> send someone out to fix my Internet connection, it doesnï¿œt
MHvA> work like it used to, Iï¿œm not getting what Iï¿œm paying for.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> As far as pricing, my rule of thumb is price goes up as
MHvA> the square root of bandwidth, so 2X speed is around 1.4X
MHvA> price.ᅵ But that would make 15X speed around 4X price, which I
MHvA> think is fair, but customers will think is outrageous.ᅵ From
MHvA> their perspective, 4K is incrementally better looking than SD,
MHvA> plus everyone knows additional bandwidth costs ISPs next to
MHvA> nothing.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> This is gonna take some slick marketing.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> From:Rory Conaway via Af

MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:59 AM

MHvA> To:af@afmug.com

MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> Iᅵm looking at this as the reason to raise prices.ᅵ I
MHvA> donï¿œt see a downside but I donï¿œt have towers.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> Rory

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Chuck McCown via Af
MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:24 AM
MHvA> To:af@afmug.com
MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> You boys are probably still slapping the side of the TV
MHvA> to get the picture to straighten up, right?

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> From:CBB - Jay Fuller via Af

MHvA> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:45 AM

MHvA> To:af@afmug.com

MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth.
Amazonstreaming4Know.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> i assume you no one here in alabama (except us techies)
MHvA> knows what 4ktv is.ᅵ i honestly don't even...

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> ----- Original Message -----

MHvA> From:Ryan Ghering via Af

MHvA> To:af@afmug.com

MHvA> Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:36 AM

MHvA> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Well there goes all our bandwidth. Amazon
streaming4Know.

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> It's especially worrisome with Newegg and Tiger
MHvA> selling cheap off brand 4K's under 500 bucks. And Roku is
MHvA> starting a big sale this week.

MHvA> I've already had calls this morning if customers
MHvA> current bandwidth will stream 4k. NOPE sorry.. Then I tell
MHvA> them what package we do offer that will support it and they
MHvA> freek out. Like I'm gona give bandwidth away for free. GEEZ

MHvA> ᅵ

MHvA> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM, That One Guy via Af <af@afmug.com>