They use them in Bangkok, it's...interesting.  Countdown to green
really does make everyone launch quickly, but it's cool because you
don't have some dummy just sitting there spaced out that doesn't know
the light changed.  It could work here, I got to like it after a bit.
It was the least terrifying thing about driving around that city.