We used to joke that that a programmer worth his salt could write code to consume any and all resources available. If the processor/memory/storage each grew by 50% or 100%, a good programmer could write/re-write code to consume the new resources.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 1/21/2015 10:42 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
I wonder what the source code looks like for an HTML5 “hello world” page.
It’s kind of shocking how fast a straight HTML/CSS page with no bloat comes up. It used to be Google too great pride in how fast their results appeared in your browser, consistently under a second. Now even Google doesn’t seem to care. I think ads, data mining, and bloated code have accustomed people to pages taking 10 or 20 seconds to load and become functional and scrollable, and then the autoplaying video starts and you go hunting for the mute or pause button. It also seems with virtualization that many dynamic sites are starved for resources and take an unacceptably long time to access the database and build the page. Sometimes it helps to use the mobile version of a site because it is optimized for a slow processor and small screen. If there is an m dot site I’ll sometimes use that from my desktop browser, not sure how to fool a site that auto detects if it is a mobile browser. Maybe devices like ePMP should have a mobile version of the GUI for field use. Or if the problem is pulling Java libraries for each page, maybe they need a custom app instead of using a browser. Look how fast WInbox is, even when it needs to download the plugins for the version of RoS on a certain router. Or remember smartBridges and their simpleMonitor? It was basically a small program that accessed the radio via SNMP.
*From:* Bill Prince <mailto:part15...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:14 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] EPMP Minimum System Specs <rant>
I remember working on an old Data General multi-user basic system. Sure, it was only running a basic interpreter, but it supported 4 simultaneous users in a TOTAL of 16 KB of memory (core memory at that)...

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 1/21/2015 7:42 AM, Jon Bruce wrote:
And we only need 64k of RAM.

On 1/21/2015 10:30 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
> You need big boy PCs to be on the Internet anymore

Who's fault is this? There are sites I don't visit anymore because they've made them so bloated they won't run (chicagotribune.com) They provide the content, they should make sure they work for me, not the other way around (Even though I realize that I am the eyeballs being sold)

Just think if the whole web was as neat as the packetflux equipment is. You'd still only need 10mb interfaces on your servers.