Don't count on non cisco branded SFP to be able to give you all the data metrics like RX power TX power etc. Cisco gear knows when it is not talking to its own stuff and will refuse to give you full features.

-----Original Message----- From: Seth Mattinen
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:04 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Cisco CWDM-mux-8

On 3/27/15 6:13 PM, Tyler Treat wrote:
Hey folks. Another department has a Cisco CWDM-mux-8 running on a link out to a secondary site. What do we need to utilize this for our own link - will any SFP be able to transmit through it and come out the other end appropriately?

No, you need CWDM SFPs in the right wavelengths, standard non-colored
optics will not work.

See the list in Table 3 here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/cwdm-transceiver-modules/product_data_sheet09186a00801a557c.html

You don't need to use a Cisco-branded SFP, any with the right
wavelengths will work.

~Seth