From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Josh Luthman
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:55 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: Why are External Hard Drives so Cheap?

I was right?!?!?!

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Chad Dewey
<nebwirel...@gmail.com<mailto:nebwirel...@gmail.com>> wrote:
From a Seagate engineer:

They can be the same drive design but a lot of the external drives are early
units with relaxed specs for error rates usually and can be waterfalled (by
this I mean design capacity is higher but could not meet the OEM specs or full
capacity during testing, helps with thruput yields) from higher capacities.
The basic reliability should be very similar if the design point is the same.
External 3TB's or any capacity point may vary from box to box may have multiple
different drive designs types which meet the capacity but can vary by
performance and capability. This is true for internals to a lesser degree.
Drives that go to retail (Bestbuy etc....) have the lowest reliabilty specs to
ship with OEM's being the toughest.  I should also state that internals
typically have tougher vibe and temperature specs with higher duty cycle life
expectations, a lot of externals are merely back up hence the lower quality
requirements.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Rory Conaway