Mark's answer matches what my recommendation would be.

I'd just use the same sized conductor for ground that you used for the
circuit itself, and make sure that the breaker is sized correctly (meaning
not too large) for the wire run.   I would probably put a 15A breaker in
back at the panel, even with a 10GA run, unless you needed >15A for some
reason, at which point I'd run 230V and step it down at the tower.    The
purpose of sizing the breaker down is to better match the actual capacity
of the circuit at that distance.

It sounds like the expert in this case has somehow gotten the idea that the
only acceptable solution is to have a single low-impedance ground system
which encompasses the entire system, including the panel.  To do this
effectively, you *would* have to have a large conductor so that effectively
all grounding points are electrically identical.  However, in this case,
it's probably better to treat it as two separate grounding systems, with a
higher-impedance (resistance) grounding path between them which will serve
the purpose of allowing the circuit breaker to clear a phase-to-ground
fault by tripping, but not encourage surges to travel between the two
systems - you want tower system surges to go into the tower ground, and the
electrical system surges to go into the electrical ground.   Alternatively
you could include a transformer at the tower end to separate the grounds
completely - See "separately dervived ground" in the code.   You'd have to
take care to ensure the ground is truly isolated, but I think this is
excessive.

-forrest

For longer

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>