Yes, the license is tied to the Hard Drive. (of CFCard etc).

If you lost the license in moving VM's, I suspect that the provider changed the
hosting platform and did some sort of conversion..

All is not lost, if you bought the license from MT, login to your portal, and
there is a link on how to get them to issue you a replacement license... it
will cost you $10.

Regards.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom