Ah I see the point now....

On 5/13/2015 10:40 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
Usually Mu-MIMO is used when you have four or eight chains talking to multiple 2 chain clients.

http://www.ics-il.com

<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com

<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
*From: *"Adam Moffett" <dmmoff...@gmail.com>
*To: *af@afmug.com
*Sent: *Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:58:48 PM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] FCC 3.5 GHZ and Cambium 450

Patrick,

I can envision how MU-MIMO could increase /efficiency/. I don't understand how it could double /capacity/.

If a spatial stream has capacity "X", then two spatial streams could have capacity 2X. If We're sending one stream each to two users, or two streams to one user, we still only have maximum capacity of 2X.

I see an increase in efficiency because if one of the two users was connected at a lower data rate, then we're devoting only half the access point's capacity to that low speed user during that time frame, whereas in single user MIMO we'd be devoting all of our resources to the low speed user. With clever scheduling you'd certainly get more out of the access point with MIMO, possibly even double if you have a wide spread of high and low speed users....but a 50mbps channel wouldn't become 100mbps channel. Rather, you'd be able to use a higher proportion of the possible 50mbps.

Unless there's something about MU-MIMO that escapes me (which is completely possible). Can you explain?

Thanks,
Adam

    As I understand it, the SAS will only be required to "try" to keep
    those owning two 10 MHz PALs in one census areas contiguous, and
    even then will not be required to do so. I think it will be tough
    to do carrier agg in 3.55-3.7 GHz given the new rules, even as a
    PAL licensee, much less as a GAA user. Further, I'm uncertain of
    the technical complexity in getting a base station to be have
    dynamic flexibility in frequency assignment in it carrier
    aggregation feature. I would suspect such a thing would not be
    easy to implement -- seems easy enough in a none aggregating set
    of spectrum or a fixed set of aggregated spectrum, but to have
    multiple carriers, with each set potentially dynamic AND
    aggregated? I'm very doubtful.

    What would be much better is MU-MIMO. That will still give you the
    doubling of capacity, but enables you to do that within the same
    10 or 20 MHz channel.

    *Patrick Leary*

    ***M*727.501.3735

    <http://mkt2.us/TelrdNet>