It’s easy for Cisco to piss people off … all of the major vendors have
pros/cons.

I worked extremely hard at my old job to remove everything Cisco from the
network after they turned their back on me – long story short but I had to
chase them for 8 weeks to send a sales person 90 minute drive to see me
regarding spending MANY millions of dollars on upgrades.  I finally got pissed
off after chasing THEM for 2 months … obviously the sales people didn’t need
the commissions involved.

After that fiasco, I worked hard to bring Juniper into place.  This was a
rewarding experience and no looking back.  While their gear isn’t better than
Cisco (but also isn’t worse) – their support and dealings with me at the time
were amazing.

Now, I’ve been with a new employer for 6 months and we use Juniper for routing
and Cisco for switching pretty much.  Pretty happy with both vendors overall
and don’t see us making any changes in this strategy as it is working well and
pretty serious investments to start changing vendors “just because”.
Ironically, in these 6 months we’ve had more issues with Juniper gear than the
Cisco (which at my old job it was the opposite)… the current issues with
Juniper are mainly software related with BRAS on MX platform.  We had a
2X100G+8X10G linecard failure recently too but I didn’t consider that too major
as it was brand new…

Having said all of that – I still lean more towards Juniper overall…. They are
priced better than Cisco typically, outperform a lot of the comparative Cisco
gear (depending on what you are comparing), and support is similar between the
two (both hit and miss).  For me, I really like CLI and configuration of the
boxes much better too.

My two cents worth…

Paul